Time for more comfort food! My mum used to make a ‘Nachos’ type bake when we were young. It was a quick & easy dinner to make for 2 working parents and 3 young kids that everyone would enjoy. We were having a busy weekend with the meal prep for the school and working week, so quick & easy it was – with our pantry food staples. Mexican can be hard for those with FODMAP issues, the beans, too much avocado, corn… I just cringe thinking of the after effects 😫 Never fear though – I am on the case! My son has always loved this. He calls it ‘Chip dinner’, and well, I suppose he is right 😉
HEALTHY NACHOS BAKE
Servings 8 | Prep Time 30 mins | Total Time 60 mins
- 500g Corn Chips (Ensure they are low-FODMAP!)
- 500g Beef or Chicken Mince
- 1 Jar Low FODMAP salsa
- 1 small bunch of Spinach
- 2 cups Tasty Cheese
- 2 Avocadoes**
- 1 lemon, juice only
- Olive Oil
- 250g Lactose-Free Sour Cream (or Dairy Free)
- 1 large Red Chilli
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Heat the oil in a large fry pan over medium heat, add the mince meat and brown, breaking up the clumps of meat with the edge of a wooden spoon.
- While the mince is cooking, roughly dice the Spinach and then add to the fry pan. Allow the spinach to wilt slightly and then stir into the mince.
- Add the jar of Salsa to the fry pan and stir into the mince and Spinach. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer for 15 mins uncovered. Set aside to cool for 10-15 mins.
- Cut open the Avocadoes and scoop out the flesh. An easy way is to cut it lengthwise around the pit and then using a knife strike the pit (be careful!) and then twist the knife so you can easily remove the pit and scoop out the flesh.
- Add the Lemon juice to the Avocado and mash the flesh with a fork then set aside.
- Grate the cheese and set aside.
- In a large oven-proof dish, layer the Corn chips along the base.
- Now for the layering. Spoon the mince and Salsa mixture on top of the Corn chips.
- If you are using Sour Cream, spoon this on top of the mince.
- Next, place the Avocado on top of the Sour Cream.
- Lastly, sprinkle over the cheese.
- Place the dish in the oven for 20-30 mins, or until the cheese is nice and golden and the Corn chips are crispy.
* According to the Monash Uni App, ¼ or 40g serves of Avocadoes are low FODMAP. As this recipe serves 8 there is ¼ of an Avocado per serve. For those on a low-FODMAP diet or have problems with Sorbitol absorption.
Like a printer friendly version? Click here!