Making up a sandwich for a kid who can’t have wheat (aka ‘Normal’ bread) can be hard. Shop bought Gluten Free bread usually tastes like cardboard or dry if it is untoasted 🙄. Plus in our household weekday mornings are usually too busy for us to remember to use the sandwich press or toast, and then cool the sandwich before everyone needs to leave for school, work and day care. Fortunately, (partly because of my love of cooking) both kids are used to eating anything but a sandwich. Master 5 also l-o-v-e-s rice (as well as noooooodles 😄). Rice patties are also great as you can use up any leftovers from the night before. Having a batch of Rice Patties in the freezer also makes weekday mornings less chaotic. I usually get the lunchboxes ready the night before and leave them in the fridge, so in the morning we just need to put the lunchboxes straight in everyone’s bags. They are also great for those times when everyone is hangry and looking for a quick nutritious snack.
WHAT-EVER-YOU’VE-GOT RICE PATTIES
Servings 30 | Prep Time 10 mins | Total Time 30 mins
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice (about 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 cup leftover roast meat / shredded chicken / cooked bacon / diced ham (optional)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced or grated vegetables of choice
- 3 spring onions stalks (green tops only)
- 1 ½ cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and grease/oil 12 pan muffin tray (or two 6 pan muffin trays).
- Finely chop the meat and the vegetables. Make sure the meat is already cooked, if using uncooked bacon, etc.)
- In a large bowl add the cooked rice, meat, vegetables, spring onions, eggs, about 1 cup of cheese and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into the trays. Top with remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes until the tops turn golden brown.
Let them sit in the trays for a few minutes before removing to rack to cool. Use a knife to work around the edges of the rice patties to make removing them easier.
- If you prefer a bit more flavour, you could also add fresh or dried herbs, some Tomato paste, curry powder or spices to mix it up bit (yum yum! 😋)
Like a printer friendly version? Click Rice Patties!
P.S. Like our recipes and posts? Feel free to share our Facebook and website with your friends and family!
2 Comments Add yours
Great idea! I’m going to give his recipe a go..thanks!! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks Lisa! They sure are yummy 😋
You could also add fresh or dried herbs, some
Tomato paste, curry powder or spices to mix it up bit!
LikeLiked by 1 person